Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Why can't Christians get along?


I was sitting in church one day and from my heart I cried out to God, “What do you want me to tell them”. Deep in my spirit the Holy Spirit resounded “Tell them to stop fighting”.

Most people have an issue that they are passionate about because of the way they first discovered the reality of Jesus. Whether it was the method of teaching they were listening to, or revelation they received at the point of conversion. That the different denominations would bury the hatchet and get along is one of my passions.

You see, when God revealed himself to me he showed me something. At the time, like so many people I decided that it was too difficult to search for answers to the questions of whether or not there was a God, or if there was what he required from, because there were so many different religions and churches who all thought they were right.

What I believe God showed me was that he didn’t give a hoot about all the traditional practices in the various denominations. It was like superfluous rubbish and he saw straight to the heart of man. Like Paul says;

Colossians 2:16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

Now this being my passion, and something I was quick to sprout off at the mouth about, I was pushed to follow this conviction when I had to start attending a Catholic church. If you’re a Catholic, don’t worry I am not going to bag you out; I have noticed it is the favourite church to bag.  After attending a Catholic church for some time now, I must say I have been truly blessed by my time there.

You see we were moving to a small country town, and there were three choices of church, Catholic, Presbyterian and Anglican. Now my type of church would be one with loud music and dancing in the aisles, and none of the above was going to offer this. My husband, being brought up in a Catholic church and was keen to attend there.

I prayed, and I prayed hard. Surely there must be a different way. I was happy to tell everyone about how churches should get along, but this was too much, pushing me to actually attend a church I wasn’t used to made it personal. Growing up I was taught that the Catholic church was like the beast in Revelation.

I started studying all the doctrines of the Catholic church to try to get my head around it all. The more I looked, the more I saw that it was all bible based, and had in fact reformed somewhat to being quite in line with most other main stream denominations.

There was one thing I couldn’t get though, and that was the Mary thing. It has to be the biggest criticism of the Catholic faith. As I combed the Catholic website for some sort of peace on this issue God spoke to me, as always from the depths of my sole clear as I have ever heard him “what’s it to you if I took my Mother up before she died?”

I pulled my head in after that.
I have seen glimpses of the traditions that are criticised, but mostly I hear Jesus preached and the word of God read. Leave interdenominational bickering alone, and lets start loving one another, all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment